Welcome!



Sunday, June 5, 2011

Sporting bucket lists!

G'day Tragics,

Attending the State of Origin a few weeks back enabled me to tick another box on my sporting bucket list.  The crossing off of such an event is not something I take lightly.  You see, for a sporting tragic, attending a major or personally significant sporting event is more than it seems.

It is hard to describe, when you attend something you have watched on TV all your life, dreaming that one day you'll be a part of it.  The atmosphere and the realisation that the person next to you feels exactly the same is truly something special.  You want to soak it up, breathe it in and have it never end.  No matter who wins or loses, it's something you will never forget, yet never be able to truly replicate in a tall story at the pub...there's no way to do it justice.

I am lucky enough to have had the opportunity to live a few of my sporting dreams, but many remain "un-ticked".  I put the word out this week to my friends on facebook, to let me know about their filled and unfulfilled sporting odysseys, which I will list on the blog.  The response was huge and I could sense the enthusiasm and excitement in each and every answer submitted. 

There's something about sharing a once in a lifetime experience with thousands of others...it's as if you form an unspoken bond with a mass of strangers.  I thought this week I'd share my top 10 sporting experiences with you, then unveil my ultimate top 10 "bucket list".  I urge you all to do the same in the comments.

Have dones!

1. 2007 AFL Grand Final - Being a die hard Geelong fan has been hard over the years.  Abuse, being laughed at and school yard beatings were the norm as a boy.  Having seen my beloved cats lose in '89, '92, '94, and '95 on the box, I made the huge statement that when or if the cats make another GF, I would be there.  In 2007 we snuck through the preliminary and the race was on to get tickets.  I forked out $1200 for the worst seats in the house, but didn't care because we tore the Power a new one and won the flag. 
The 119 point hiding was the best day of my sporting life.  We sat next to an old guy that was crying during the medal presentation, telling us he was there in '63 when we won our last.  I cried too...it was heaven.

2. 1999 Davis Cup Final , Nice, France - Having never been to a major tennis match before, we weren't to sure how fast we should be drinking our beers.  First day of the two day final, it turned out we'd be drinking way too fast.  Following Mark Philipousis's first rubber victory against the French, I came a huge gutser down the stairs of the stadium.  I was rushed to hospital in an ambulance, where it turned out I'd buggered my ankle quite badly.  After many les panadol and some sleep, I was back in the green and gold on day 2 to see the Poo, the Woodies, Rafter and Llyeton wrap up the huge win for Australia.  I was assisted onto the court with the other "fanatics", where we made "clay angels", as well as total pricks of ourselves.  I'll never forget one of our songs - "John Newcombe Superstar" appallingly beautiful. I think the "Poo" hooked up with a stripper...good one!

3. Running of the Bulls - Pamplona Spain (1999 or 2000?)  - Another messy affair, but by far the most electric shindig I've ever been to.  Technically not a sporting event - because I'm not a huge fan of bull fighting - but I'm going to squeeze it in.  I will never forget the buzz or chaos of the opening ceremony.  Once the canon fired to signal the start of the festival it was on!  It was the only time in my life when I thought I was going to cark it!  I was caught in a crowd surge.  The crush was frightening and I was having thoughts of the disastrous soccer crowd crushes of history.  I survived and went on to have an educational week.  During the actual running I stayed well out of the stampede zone.  Nursing another ankle injury I wasn't taking any risks.  Something I will never forget.

4. World Cup Cricket Match - Old Trafford, Manchester, 1999 - This match between Australia and the West Indies was probably one of the most boring of the tournament, but to watch your country play a World Cup match in England can't be sneezed at.  It was freezing and we were sitting at the very top of a temporary grandstand; one where seats spring up when you stand.  We'd bought a six pack and one of the lads had it sitting on his seat while he was putting on his jumper.  You can guess the rest...the beers were catapulted off the top of the stand and into the car park.  Thank Christ no-one was hurt, but we were threatened with ejection.  We convinced security that Aussies wouldn't throw away beer on purpose, so they let us stay.  Australia won and we were lucky enough to share a drink with the players in the city that night.  Awesome!

5. Rubber rafting down the Nile River, Uganda, 1999 - The title speaks for itself.  Not a world sporting event, but something personally special.  To be rafting down one of the world great rivers was truly surreal.  I spent more time in the river than on it.  Our cheeky French guide was a true rascal, dumping us out on every grade 5 rapid.  The constant fear of drowning was perfectly balanced by the enormity of the journey.  Mind blowing.

6. Boxing Day Test Vs South Africa, Can't remember year  - The most sacred day on the Australian cricket calendar.  80,000 at the "G", the hush of the first ball and a few quiet beers in the sun with your best mates.  It reeks of "Australiana" doesn't it?  From memory, the year I was there, Matty Hayden went ape shit, knocking up a rapid ton...maybe the "black belt" Langer got one too.  Who cares, we went out that night, had a big one, then went straight from the night club back to the MCG for day 2.  Priceless.

7. Port Macquarie Ironman Triathlon, 2010 - Personally very significant for me with my brother, Joe and his wife, Amelia competing.  To be totally honest,I thought I was in for a pretty long, boring day watching some swimming, cycling and running over and over.  I couldn't have been more wrong!  It is impossible not to get totally swept up in the the atmosphere of an Ironman.  So many fit buggers in one place, it's makes you feel like the laziest bastard on earth.
Once the race gets under way, it's a mad washing machine of bodies.  Amelia was the first woman out of the drink and the bro also swam a personal best.  The bike leg can take 5-8 hours, so there's a lot not knowing and nerves for the spectators.  When your family member comes in to view, it's hard not to explode with pride, as you trawl through your vocab for an inspirational quote that has to be delivered in 0.5 sec as they rocket past.
Once the 180km ride is done, the pain can really begin...it's time for the marathon.  Unbelievable.  Every time I saw Joe, he looked liked he was going to die, but continued smiling all the way to the grave.  Amelia looked strong and was in the mix with the pro women.
Amelia crossed the line in third.  She was/is brilliant.  Joe did 12.5 hours, a personal best, beating the year before by almost an hour. 
Including my own personal sporting highlights, football premierships etc...this topped them all.  Watching Joe and Amelia do an Ironman was unforgettable. I get a lump in my throat re-living it.

8. Australian PGA Golf Championship, Coolum, Qld, 2009 (I think) - Since giving away football, golf has taken over as my number one sporting passion.  The Aussie PGA was my first big tournament.  As soon as we walked on the course, my wife will tell you I was giggling like a 12 year old school girl.  The fairways were like carpet, the greens were even better.  We followed the likes of Scott, Ogilvy, Appleby, Allenby and "Long" John Daly in his loud slacks.  The golf was sublime, the course was spectacular.  You could stand right next to the big names as they stroked their approaches to within a foot.  It was a golfers dream....but bloody hot.  I'm playing there in August....can't wait.

9. England Vs Ukraine, Wembley Stadium, 2000 - It was a friendly, on a Wednesday night and it wasn't packed; but there is something special about watching England, including David Beckham, play at Wembley.
I'll never forget it...we had crap seats, there was a beam restricting our view and the game wasn't overly spectacular.  The thing that stuck out was Beckham.  Not only could he play, he could run.  He ran his arse off (settle ladies), constantly putting himself in a dangerous position.  I was intrigued with his off the ball movement and spent most of the night watching him.  The Poms won and I furthered my education of the beautiful game.  It was one of those cool things to do.

10. State of Origin, Lang Park, 2011 - See last weeks post. Bloody awesome.  Queenslander!

Special mention - A major league baseball match in Toronto, Canada, 2005

My "To do" List.

1. US Masters, Augusta, Golf
2. Soccer World Cup Finals (Australia maybe?)
3. Do a skydive
4. Monaco Grand Prix (been to place, just not the race)
5. Superbowl
6. Do a half Marathon (No desire to do a full or triathlon)
7. Go to an Olympics (100m mens final - was overseas for Sydney)
8. Go to an NBA game
9. Go to an NHL game
10 . Go to the Tour de France

These are off the top of my head, there are many more.  Every tragic has their own list and their own reasons for that list.  As I said, for a sports nut there is nothing quite like putting a tick on your bucket list.  It's what dreams are made of and what you live and work hard for.  I hope you enjoyed my walk down memory lane. I'd love to see what your bucket lists contain.....Tragic.

PS. Bucket List items of followers at the bottom of blog. Cheers...Next week the followers "have done" list.

9 comments:

  1. Sensational Adz, I only have to come up with 6 as I was with you for 3,4,5, & 9 of yours. Thanks for the memories mate.
    my #1 is the 1999 Cricket World Cup semi-final. Tie but best game ever seen.
    "You've just dropped the world cup". Steve Waugh. Classic
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_Cricket_World_Cup_2nd_semi-final

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its hard to beat an MLB Cubs game at Wrigley Field. Steeped in history and a great day when supplemented with beers and hotdogs. Last weeks White Sox game I went too at the newer Cellular Field just didn't compare. A cubs game is a definite US equivalent to the Boxing Day Test.

    Its also hard to disagree with your todo list... there are some top line events listed but I'd have to add the Daytona 500 in there as well. I'd also recommend you consider Wimbledon, another great event with superb atmosphere and athletic ladies to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good call Brock! I have been to Wimbledon, but it rained all day. Was still magic...another special mention! Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was a bit of a theme there Ads - crap seats, busted ankle and booze!!
    On my bucket list are also watching the Australian Cricket team play West Indies in the West Indies and watching Australia win a Rugby Union World Cup in the Northern Hemisphere.
    Ed

    ReplyDelete
  5. The memories mate, the memories! Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats damn good list man i wish I've done half of things that you have. I've always wanted to attend the running of the bulls but not actually run with them lol. I have made it a Super Bowl and a Masters so I have to a few things but nothing compared to you man. Keep up the good work and I also have you on my blog roll call list at www.sportaholic2112.blogspot.com. Peace out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks SportAholic. Sounds like we've covered a few lists between us! Enjoy your work...keep it up mate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome Tragic. Over my younger years I have competed in Rallying from the Club level through to State and National Level, but the pinicle of my competitive Rallying is at The International Rally of Canberra. Although not a World Rally Championship event it still gave the excitement of competing at such a level.
    Number one on my Bucket List is to Compete in Targa Tasmania in a Toyota Sprinter (old school Rear Wheel Drive). This may sound Tragic to all you Footy Fans but it is still a sport. ha ha.
    TK

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice work TK. I know that any true sports fan would be able to appreciate the thrill of driving in a rally at any level. As for Targa, it remains one of the most prestigious motor events in the World and is very close to my Tassie heart. I'm sure you'll get there one day! Cheers.

    ReplyDelete