Welcome!



Sunday, July 10, 2011

Kids...Parents...School...Stuff.

G'day Tragics,

I was playing golf with a mate the other day who is a P.E. teacher.  We got onto the subject of schools that have sporting excellence programs.  In Queensland there are quite a few of these, in which students can enrol in subjects such as AFL, rugby league and surfing just to name a few.  My first thought 20 years ago would have been "totally awesome dude," but nowadays I'm not so sure.

A fair portion of the kids that attend these schools, focus heavily on their sport, which more often than not leads to a loss of direction with their studies.  It's also fair to say in my humble opinion, that manners, respect and general social skills can also be a casualty in the quest for sporting super stardom.

I'm told that less than 1% of the children involved in these programs go on to become professionals in their chosen sport.  Once they fail, they are left poorly educated, lacking social etiquette and low on self-confidence.  They are virtually unemployable and most don't even care.  I'm sure I'm not the only one that has noticed the influx of smart arse teenagers simply "hanging around" these days.


Sport isn't completely to blame, so let's move on to Mum and Dad.  There are a few different types of parents when it comes to their kids and sport.  There's the "My little Johnny is the best thing since sliced bread and he's going to play for Australia" type, then you get the pushy parents that drive their youngsters into the ground through training and attempting to live out their own sporting dreams through their kids - think tennis parents and finally you get the encouraging, supportive folks, that don't over praise, point out mistakes when required and ensure their juniors get the sport/study balance just right.

It doesn't take rocket science to pick which type is straight out of parenting 101, but I'm sure real life is completely different to the perfect ideal.  I don't have kids yet, but I have an idea of how I will bring them up.  I want them to play and enjoy sport, but also gain a solid education so they have options.  I'm sure I'll brag about my kids, but only in a proud way, not a "my kids the best...chuck out the rest" manner.

Why do parents put their kids in these sports school and wait for a Brownlow medallist to be pumped out the other end?  Are they hoping their kids will be good at sport just in case it turns out they're not that bright?    What happened to the days of "no kicking the footy till you've finished your homework"? Apparently kicking the footy is homework now.  I was born in the wrong era!


There is definitely a place for elite sports programs in schools, but they need to be meshed with the necessities of reading, writing and arithmetic.  Parents need to ensure that their kids recognise these opportunities as privileges and not god given rights.

I'm sick of cheeky little buggers back-chatting me down the road, I'm sick kids not having any general knowledge other that what's on the TV or their iPhone and I'm sick of parents telling me how good their kid is, rather than how hard their kid tries and how much they enjoy themselves in their sports. 

I personally hate the way things are going and it sucks that your actually shocked when you meet a child that is great at sport, study and well mannered to boot.  This used to be the norm.  Sport has a vital role in developing our youth. If used correctly it can be an effective tool used to inject confidence, discipline and team/social ethics into the children. 

It's so easy to miss this point when the lure of wealth and fame is so potent in today's society.  It's up to parents to guide their kids in the right direction and hope that sports stars will go back to being clean cut, humble and educated role models.

I know what you're going to say...I'm dreaming...Tragic.

12 comments:

  1. Daniel Norton-SmithJuly 10, 2011 at 9:10 AM

    Love it mate...love it!
    A few years ago we introduced a 'Player Agreement' to the Robina High Baseball Excellence Program to deal with such issues. The students and their parents have to sign off on a contract that includes: a minimum C average across all subjects, being on time and not wagging classes and maintaining a good behaviour record. There have been a few that have crossed the line and a suspension from the program for anywhere between 2 weeks to an entire term soon gets them back in line.
    Dan N-S
    PS You're an absolute burglar on that 16 handicap haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Adz, Not only do the little shits need to learn some respect, manners and how to behave in public, so do a lot of parents. Bring back the cane and proper repercussions for ones actions. There's too many do gooders on todays society giving the youngsters too much leeway and parents no rights.
    Rant over, back to kids sports, as someone who wasnt very good at most sports, my parents encouraged me to have fun and try them all. After I'd done my chores and homework!! I hope I will be the same with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dan and Stinga,

    Some great feedback and I'm fairly sure most people in our age bracket would agree.

    We were brought up very differently and would be jumping out of our skin to have opportunities like kids do in the 2000's.

    Glad to see your going old school with your sprogs Stinga.

    Back to 15 now Dan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good article Adam Lee and a very complicated issue when it comes to instilling respect and work ethic...end of the day parents attitude is the guiding light or misleading blowtorch! I agree there are a some rat bag sports stars but my belief is that by and large the majority are wonderful role models!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good call Denty. I totally agree with you. The parents are number 1 and the kid trust their ultimate guidance. As far as role models go, you do have to sometimes ignore the disappointing minority. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. A DIFFERENT SPIN............I have had personal experience through junior coaching opportunities in my local area with some kids who have have a tough upbringing spending most of their young lives so far in foster care,which has unfortunately led to some undesireable behaviour patterns forming. Sport for them has been a focus and opportunity for them to turn these behaviours around learning about discipline and teamwork and the impact that one team members behaviour can have on the rest of the team, these learnings for them can hopefully translate into every day life, sport can be a light at the end of the tunnel ,after all most of young society do have good in them, it's just a matter of how parents and carers can help find that good and push it to the surface for the whole world to see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some great points here Adz. In my opinion having a sport excellence program could be a great incentive for kids that love sport. You would assume that schools with such programs would set high standards of behavior and academic standards in which students must achieve in order to be involved in the sports program. Unfortunately society in general seem to turn a blind eye to top athletes, so many examples spring to mind. unfortunately every one involved can't help but think what they have to gain. In the last 6 years at my school, 5 out of the last 6 dux's of the college have also been excellent athletes and people. Perhaps it might be worth looking at different sports and how it effects kids. Wouldn't mind seeing some stats looking at sport played Vs social skills Vs academic results. I guess Denty is pretty spot on "parents" are the key!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Couldn't agree with you more AP. As Jade gets older you think about those sort of things more often, if ever we lose the plot I'll just re read your post!! I think having a network of like minded people around you also keeps you and your values on the right track. Love your work, cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some great feedback guys. I guess the ultimate point is that sport can be used to shape, inspire and guide kids. Elite programs give those with potential great opportunities. This is all fine as long as the "basics" of school don't suffer and the children are well aware that they may not go all the way with their sports and have something to fall back on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great effort Adz. Some great feedback. Coming from a family guy with 2 kids, one who is heavily into music and netball, she plays 5 instruments and choir at school (you will see my point, bear with me) and is engrossed in a Saturday Netball Team and Representative Team, which includes 2* 2 hr training sessions per week. Unfortunately this doesn't leave to much time for homework etc. I feel that with the right attitude from parents and the right guidance they can juggle all that is presented to them. My daughter apparently is out of the class room close to 4 hrs per week with music lessons and practice as well as other duties to do with music, as well as not forgetting her Netball committments and her last report card coming home with her lowest grade being a C (beleive it or not for PE, Apparently assessed in AFL, go figure, this brings me to the next question. Why do schools teach Male dominated sports in PE? Another time)
    As you can see, with the right attitude from parents a child can do well in whatever he or she chooses.
    As for the high school offering excellence programs for Sport, I say bring it on. Provided it is managed well and the parents provide the correct support it is all good.
    My daughter has been accepted for both the Netball Excellence Program and the Music Program at Helensvale next year and there is a Behaviour and grades contract that she needs to sign for both, where a breech of any rules can result in the removal from the program.
    She has mine and my wifes full support in whatever she does.
    TK

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks TK. Sounds like you and your wife have devised a match winning formula with your daughter. As you say there is room for kids to experience many different activities, both sporting and other during their school lives, as long as they stay on top of the important things. Thanks for your take and keep up the good parenting. Tragic

    ReplyDelete
  12. keep up the good work Adz, maybe one week you could write about the age old sport of gut busting :)

    ReplyDelete