Welcome!



Tuesday, October 4, 2011

My Grand Day Out.

G'day Tragics,

I have been a rabid Geelong supporter for as long as I can remember.  My Dad followed the Cats for some reason and that was good enough for me.  My brother, Joe and I were mascots for our local club, Ulverstone. The mighty Robins wore Essendon colours, but I insisted on running out in my navy and white hoops...I'm sure some people thought I'd eaten too much sherbet.

I love the Geelong footy club and like all footy fans have been through some tough times supporting them.  The last 5 years have more than cancelled out 20 years of frustration...it has been pure bliss!




Once we disposed of the brave Weagles in the pre-final, it hit me that we were in the Grand Final against the mighty and revered Magpies.  I decided then and there that if a ticket came my way, I would jump on a plane and head South to the "G".

A combination of the planets aligning and some great mates being great mates, I was blessed with a ticket.  My wonderful wife knew what it meant to me and almost packed my bag for me.  Even before the game I was very lucky.  My third Grand Final was on the menu, and it was easily going to be the biggest feast I'd tackled.

An elaborate function on the Friday was the perfect lead-up to a relaxed Saturday morning.  I caught up with a few mates, picked up some merch, to ensure everyone knew I was a "crazy cat".  I made my way to the famous Melbourne Hilton Hotel for a few nerve settlers...the anticipation was a cocktail of butterflies and vomit.  It was almost game time!

If you've ever been to the MCG and you're a mad footy tragic like myself, you are well aware of the magic that borders the historic arena.  The trees, the car parks, the houses surrounding the ground, all play a big part in the experience of attending a match at the scared site.  I was soaking it up like it was my last day on earth.

My seat was in the Olympic Stand....very back row.  I didn't give a rats....I'd made it this far without losing my ticket.  Once Meatloaf finished strangling a chicken and Vanessa Amorossi did her best Cameron Ling impersonation, it was on!

The game is a blur....so much tension, so much excitement, so much emotion was going through me the entire match.  Both teams were giving their all and 96,000 fans were riding every bump with them.  It was different to the other granny's I'd been to, there was just something special about it.

I have to be honest, I had the same sick feeling in my guts that was present when Hawthorn rolled us in '08. There were times when the bounce of the Sherrin just wasn't going our way.  My mind flashed back to that losing feeling I'd experienced as a player in my day....it scared me.  C'mon boys tough it out!

Tough it out they did!  Our guts and spirit was exhilarating.  I not ashamed to admit tearing up a few times during the day...tears of pride and tears of gratitude that my life had taken such a path that I was able to be present at this once in a lifetime event.


The last quarter was a hammering and the Cats faithful waved off the Magpies fans as one.  Our tail end dominance allowed me to finally relax and enjoy a quarter of footy like I never have before.  It was ecstasy!

The siren sounded and we all sang the theme song until they kicked us out...it was brilliant....just brilliant.  It will be very hard to top in my life (sports wise) and I don't think I'll need to attend another AFL GF....but I might.

Surely watching your team beat Collingwood for the Premiership is the AFL Everest?....Tragic.


No comments:

Post a Comment