Welcome!



Thursday, July 5, 2012

Black Caviar.

G'day Tragics,

Most of us grew up listening to tales about that legendary nag, Phar Lap.  The feats of this magnificent animal are part of Australian folklore and represent an important segment of our identity. 

People of all ages speak passionately about "big red", almost as if they personally saw him race or even hand fed him a carrot.  Phar Lap's hide is mounted at the Melbourne museum, his skeleton across the ditch and his heart in Canberra, all of which are visited and admired by thousands who simply want to be close racing royalty.



Never in my life did I think I would get the chance to witness a horse of this calibre....but guess what?  I was wrong in a big way!

Black Caviar has captured the imaginations of people the world over.  As her unbeaten streak sits proudly at 22, we can only marvel at what this extraordinary mare has achieved.



What I really love about having a horse as a national sporting hero is:

- She has absolutely no ego.
- She doesn't have a facebook or twitter account.
- She is humble.
- She never has to go on the news to apologise for being a dickhead.
- She doesn't demand more money than she is worth......but deserves to.
- She is happy with a simple existence.

Would I be wrong if I said that Black Caviar is so popular because people are embracing this anti-Christ of the modern day sports personality.  This horse is an object of beauty that provides moments of pure adrenalin, followed by ecstasy and then doesn't spoil it by opening her mouth - unless she wants some hay!


I wish Caviar fever would last forever.  I'd love to have a beer with trainer, Peter Moody or even a milkshake with jockey, Luke Nolan.

Nolan went within a whisker of being the most hated man in Australia,  but saved his bacon.  These blokes are my kind of sporting legends.  Moody, a knock about larrikin, who openly acknowledges that he's won the lottery and Nolan, who has ridden the majority of 'Caviars wins going as far to say that riding the mare is better than sex!



I love their passion and I love they way they love the horse.  It has taken me back to a time when fame and fortune wasn't the heart and sole of sport.  It's about a story and the characters that capture our adoration.

I hope she's got a few more gallops in her and I hope we get to see another sea of salmon and dots packing Australian tracks.  Either way, we must bottle the Black Caviar experience.  Never forget how we felt when she crossed that line in front of the Queen.  It was a special kind of rush that we may never see again.....although she has got siblings.....Tragic!

No comments:

Post a Comment