Welcome!



Thursday, January 17, 2013

Do we have to love them because their Aussies?

G'day Tragics,

It's been a while, but I'm back in action.  The emotional toll of the Lance Armstrong circus has lead me to lay off the keyboard for a while.  Now that Lance has decided to man up and come clean, I can get on with my life and get back to venting my spleen!

Lately I have been wondering whether there is an unwritten law stating that all Australians must support all Australian athletes or teams no matter how they behave, compete or generally represent us.  I consider myself very patriotic and love our flag and what it represents, but as you all know by now, when it comes to sport, I have standards!


Bernard Tomic is the catalyst behind my thoughts.  The young tennis prodigy from the Gold Coast, whom I once bumped into in Coles, has gone from hero to zero, then back to hero faster than I can say Phillipousis.  Bernie is a young bloke with a pile of talent, a pile of cash and a pile of attitude.  The way he behaved during the last half of last year made me want to stick an un-ripe banana up the exhaust of his yellow Ferrari.  He was such a brat - everyone disowned him and it appeared there was no way back.

Fast forward to the new year in which Tomic beat Novak ,won the Sydney International, then declared he is a new man with a new attitude.....all is suddenly forgiven!  Sure he's young and he deserves a chance, but what has astounded me, was the speed at which public opinion completed it 180 degree u-turn.  The biggest brat since McEnroe wins a few games and he's a tennis darling once again.

I have never liked little Lleyton.  His on court demeanour is cringeful to me and always has been.  Before all the bogans out there tear me a new one - I admire Hewitt's tenacity, fight and grit.  I understand his on court persona is a weapon he uses to unsettle opponents.  He gives his all every match and makes himself available for national duty at all times.

It's these traits for me that cancel out my negative views and make me feel comfortable about getting behind the little crow eater, but the question remains:  Am I obligated to support someone I don't like?

Arrogance is another trait that has been creeping into Australian athletes and teams.  The swimming at last years Olympics was a prime example.  Magnussen and company competed like a bunch of school kids on their first overseas trip.  They thought talk alone was enough to collect a swag of medals, but reality hit hard and our teary swimmers under performed. 

There is little doubt about the ability of "The Missile", but I'm sure there were more people than me that bristled every time he pumped air into his own tyres.  Jana Pittman's dramatic behaviour was a car crash, but we were obligated to back the green and gold......not me!

All the things we say we stand for don't seem to matter any more if there's a possibility they might obstruct a win. 

Sportmanship, being humble, fair play and giving your all.  Once upon a time pre-requisites for all Australian representatives.  Popularity, self promotion and social media now dominate the sporting landscape.  Sport is such a business driven industry and in my opinion the little things that once captured my imagination are being squeezed out.

Anyway tragics, I'll be interested to hear your opinion, but I must get back to watching the third-string Australian cricket team take on Sri Lanka.....C'mon Aussie...Tragic!


1 comment:

  1. Wearing green and canary gets you my support and encouragement on pretty much any occasion, but it DOESN'T guarantee you get my respect...that must be earnt! Great piece buddy, excellent for pub debate!

    ReplyDelete