Welcome!



Monday, May 2, 2011

Everyone can be an Ironman!

G'day tragics.

This week the wife and I took a drive down to Port Macquarie to support my sister in law as she tackled the gruelling Port Macquarie Iron man Triathlon.  For those of you not in the know, an iron man...or iron person triathlon consists of a 3.8km swim, a 180km bike ride and last but not least, a 42km run (marathon).

A race of this nature takes the very good about 8-10 hours and the very gutsy between 12-15 hours.  That's right...15 hours of non stop, body bashing pain.  It truly is the ultimate test of fitness, strength, endurance, courage....and of course, sanity.

Before I go on, I must mention that my sister in law, Amelia raced sensationally and finished 2nd in the professional women's division.  She continues to amaze us and do everyone in her corner extremely proud. 

Amelia has participated in these events for years and it takes up a large portion of her life.  I've asked her many times why???????  Why does she put herself through this hell?  The answer is simple...she loves it.  She loves it?...Not good enough for me Amelia! 

I loved playing footy, I love playing golf, I love eating pizza, but for 10 hours at a time, without a break...come off it!  There must be more than a simple love of beating oneself to a pulp.

I'm not calling my champion relative a liar, but I need to investigate.  Why is extreme pain so pleasureable for some?  I have a theory.  See what you think.

Satisfaction - An act of satisfying; fulfillment; gratification.
Achievement - A thing done successfully, typically by effort, courage, or skill.

These two magic words are the secret to transforming agony into the purest form of ecstasy.  Humans are complex creatures, and we are constantly striving to achieve.  Any level of achievement is packaged neatly with a reward of satisfaction.

Are you with me?...Am I getting too serious for my own blog?...Hear me out.

The more obstacles that are placed in our way on the path to achievement; make the dose of satisfaction all the more concentrated at the end.  Some give up before the finish line.

Not everyone gets to taste victory in its sweetest, purest form, but those who do, find harder, more extreme challenges, to makes that satisfaction hit bigger and juicier. 

Do you get my point?  Or have I lost my shit completely?  These Iron Men and Iron Women...all completely hairless and lathered in latex(sorry lycra....oops!) are all chasing the ultimate sporting prize.  They are putting themselves through maximum pain...in a quest for the biggest, chunkiest, dose of satisfaction available. 

Have you played in a grand final win, got a hat-trick or even scored a 300 in ten pin?  The feeling of completing an iron man based on my theory, would dwarf any of these huge adrenaline hits. 

Worth the pain?  I think so.  Do you?  What is your Iron man? (work, sport, life)...let me know...go and get your reward!......Tragic.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Adzy, you lost me at Hairless and lathered in latex...
    Stinga

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Tragic,
    Did you win yourself over? If YES, I expect your next piece to detail the level of ecstasy obtained from eating pizza for 10 hours!
    Cheers, Denty

    ReplyDelete